World Wide Webfoot Maps
This page links to several of the Google Maps mashup services that I have done. Most of my maps are choropleth maps -- coloured polygons -- and tend to focus on demographic data.
Economic StimulusMaps and analyses of the Australian stimulus plan (in collaboration with Maciek Chudek) and Canadian economic stimulus plan both show a distinct bias in favor of areas represented by the party controlling the government.
CensusThese maps of the US 2000 census and Australian 2006 census (in collaboration with Maciek Chudek) allow you to examine many demographic attributes at a very fine geographic resolution.
Elections 2008 / DemographicsThe Election 2008 / Demographics Map makes it easy to see how non-white, and/or young, and/or urban voters voted more for Obama and white, older, rural voters voted for McCain.
Mapeteria (rev 1)The Mapeteria service lets you generate a choropleth map with your own data.
Older mapsThese maps are older and not as flexible; I keep them here only out of a sense of history.
- Race and density: population density, percent White, Black, Latino, Asian, Hawai'ian/Pacific Islander, Native American
- Age distribution: median age and age groups
- Housing units: percent occupied, vacant, owner-occupied, rentals
- Household composition: percent single men without kids, single women without kids, single men with kids, single women with kids, married couples with kids, married couples without kids
- Total population density (min=0, max=10,000)
- Male population percentage (min=40%, max=60%) -- find prisons and military bases
- Female population percentage (min=40%, max=60%) -- find prisons and military bases
- Average Household Size (min=1, max=4)
- Average Family Size (min=1, max=4)
- Households per family (min=1.5, max=2) -- find unrelated people living together
- Blacks per housing unit (min=1.5, max=10) -- find prisons. Also see Blacks per housing unit with markers for California prisons (slow to load)
- Percentage of population 18-22 (min=30%, max=60%) -- find universities
If you want to roll your own map, see the expert mode form.
If you want to combine this with your own data, try using the mapplet version
There are some strangenesses in the data.